By: Albert Huang, DC
It's a new year and its time to kick the bad habits and replace them with some new fancy ones! Always strive to be better then you were yesterday. Find your groove and get in a healthy routine with these 5 game changing attitudes.
1) Wake up early - The most productive people are early risers. Getting out of bed in the early hours of the day provides you more time to get things done. Use the first 30-60 minutes of your day for self time. Stimulate your mind and body with a routine of grooming, breakfast, daily news, reading or writing, and self-reflection. Avoid using the computer and cell phone, you have the rest of your day for that. Wake up on the right foot and conquer your day by planning out your objectives and daily goals!
2) Regular Exercise - Staying active is a vital component to a healthy lifestyle and a happy mind. Try exercising daily to stimulate brain activity, blood circulation, muscle growth, and nervous system development. If you can't work out daily strive for 4-5 times a week. Staying physically active has many health benefits such as, improved mood, weight control, stress relief, increased energy, heightened libido, better sleep, and reduced risk of illness and disease.
3) Positive Thinking - The grass is always green! Thoughts are subjective which means they can be controlled by your mind. Negative thoughts lead to negative outcomes which induce a stress response in your body. Eliminate limiting thoughts and replace them with positive thinking. There are always three sides to a story, the negative interpretation, the positive interpretation, and the best interpretation. French philosopher Rene Descartes said it best, "I think therefore I am." Start filling your mind with wishful thinking and the universe will respond with positive vibes.
4) Separate Work and Play - There comes a time when the best thing to do is to take a vacation or some time off of work. Working 5, 6, 7 days a week over an extended period will eventually lead to a burn out. You can't drive a car 24/7, 365 days a year without it breaking down, so how can you expect your body to do the same? Your body needs down time to recover. If you only focus on work your whole life, you lose your true purpose of being. Find the right balance between work and leisure. Travelling or self-exploration can revitalize your mind, spark creativity, and boost work productivity in the long run!
5) Quiet Time - We are constantly bombarded with never ending stimulus! Limit your tech time; reduce the amount of time in front of your television, laptop, and cell phone. The radiation and bright lights from these tech devices place undue strain on your eyes and brain activity. Slow down for even 5-10 minutes a day in a quiet place where you can focus on your breathing and self-awareness. Find stress relief and inner peace with meditation, yoga, tai chi, or proactive napping. Unwind with a book before bed to calm the mind and nourish your soul.
Posts inspired by the team at Platinum Health & Wellness.